Ashadha month is considered to be the 4th Lunar month in the Hindu calendar. As per the Gregorian calendar, this month falls between June-July.
The lunar month is marked by two methods in the Hindu calendar. In the 1st method, the Lunar month marks its presence from Purnima to Purnima which is known as the Purnimanta calendar whereas in another method Lunar month is marked from Amavasya to Amavasya which is known as the Amanta calendar.
Some important festivals of Ashadha month are Yogini Ekadashi, Jagannath Rathyatra, the beginning of Gauri Vrat, Jayaparvati Vrat.
List of Ashadha Month Festivals
- Yogini Ekadashi- This vrat is observed to receive the blessings of Lord Vishnu and this is one of the 24 Vrats of Ekadashi.
- Jagannath Rathyatra- This huge festival is celebrated in Puri, Orissa which is associated with the Lord Jagannath.
- Devshayani Ekadashi- People observe fast on this day to seek the blessings of Lord Vishnu. Lord Vishnu goes into the state of sleep for 4 months.
- Guru Purnima- This is a traditional occasion of Hindus in which disciples pray and respect their Gurus or mentors.
- Beginning of Gauri Vrat- This is an important fasting period that is majorly popular in Gujarat. This Vrat is observed to seek the blessings of Goddess Parvati.
- Starting of Jayaparvati Vrat- This is the period of significant fasting which is dedicated to Goddess Jaya who is an Avatar of Goddess Paravati and this vrat is also majorly observed in Gujarat.
- Kokila Vrat- Kokila is the name given to an Indian bird cuckoo (bird associated with Goddess Sati). This fast is observed by people to seek the blessings of Goddess Sati and Lord Shiva.
- Vyasa Puja- Vyas Puja day falls on the day of the full moon of Ashadha month. On the occasion of Vyasa Puja, people worship their Gurus.
Next hindu month is shravana visit the list of shravana month festivals.